Sunday, December 11, 2011

Lipgloss for Divas

It's been a while since I've posted last, and I apologize to my {one} follower. Life has been pretty busy, and to be honest, I'm too busy enjoying it to sit down and take time to blog about it. However, this morning I find myself with a few extra minutes and with some inspiration from Pinterest, the girls and I had some fun activities.

It hasn't been cold for very long, but it's been tough on B because she likes to lick her lips a lot, especially when she's concentrating {it's hereditary, I swear...my mom does it and I do it too}. Needless to say, her lips get pretty chapped. I found this homemade lipgloss idea and thought it would be fun to make and encourage her to use it more! Here's how we did it:


1 cup Petroleum Jelly {Vaseline}, 1 package Kool-Aid flavor of choice, and I found those cute containers in the travel section at WalMart. Awesome.


Melt the Petroleum Jelly at 30 second intervals until liquid. The picture above {is poor quality, I know...the natural lighting in our kitchen blows and I hate using flashes because it washes everything out, sorry!} shows where I stopped...KEEP GOING! This is one mistake that I made because I was so excited to do this project that I didn't read the directions fully. Melt the Petroleum Jelly until it is completely liquid, this takes about 7-8 minutes according to the original post!


Since the bowl was so hot, B's only job was to pour the Kool-Aid {pink lemonade flavor} into the bowl. I stirred and stirred and stirred.



I poured the lipgloss into the containers and let solidify again {about 2 hours}. I added a little sticker just for fun and BAM! Because I didn't wait until the petroleum jelly was liquid, the Kool-Aid did not dissolve completely so you can feel the little crystals when you put it on. Also, the pink lemonade taste is a little strong, but B loves it!


{Another idea for next time is to add eyeshadow for a little tint to the lipgloss.}

B now has a girly, homemade lipgloss she can bring to school and it's big enough to be noticed when doing laundry {can't tell you how many times I've washed chapstick left in her jean pockets}. 

Win-win-win.

-KK

No comments:

Post a Comment