Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Thinking Outside the Candleholder


Before Christmas, my BFF and I went shopping at Goodwill and met up with a great group of ladies including Jen from iHeart Organizing and Amanda from Our Humble A{bowe}d. Jen offered up a Goodwill Challenge: find something to "makeover" and share your project! 

Let's just say I hit the jackpot in terms of things I could makeover. I have a project that I have been working on, but I can't finish the whole can of oatmeal in one sitting so it's a slow-going process. Also, I don't have a place to spray paint, so my "makeover" was pretty limited. That's OK though. Come summertime I will be so high on spray paint fumes I won't know what to do with myself. {Probably an inappropriate joke, but there we have it.}

Here's what I started with for my paintless project...a pilar candle holder. It's cute, and likely something I would have displayed in my living room if I wasn't itching for something unique to do with it.


B and I were at Walmart and went past the coffee section. If you know me, you know I don't drink coffee. Heck, I didn't even know you could buy coffee beans from Walmart...{don't judge me}. I don't like the taste or smell of coffee, but I did happen to spot this French Vanilla package and gave it a sniff. YUM. In the cart it went.


When I got home, I immediately poured in the beans. And I loved it.


I added my makeup brushes, and VOILA! A classy looking way to store them without damaging them. Plus, the bathroom reeks of coffee. Which I have subsequently come to adore.


Another angle...


{I will have to replace these in a short while anyway, but at least now I know I won't have to as often going forward.}


From the side...oooh, ahhh!


I put it next to a basket I bought for our wedding programs. It still has the ribbon but I added the butterfly. The colors aren't what's normally in the bathroom, but I wanted to put some towels in there so I nabbed some from the other one.



What have you been thrifting with lately?

8 comments:

  1. I think it turned out really cute! I can't say I'm a thrifter, no patience for the hit and miss shopping trips, but I'm always impressed by what people find and fix up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Kim - Thanks! I am not a thrifter either, but I figured there's always a chance I'd find something! I've only been a few times but haven't really "missed" yet. Fingers crossed my next thrift store project turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love how it turned out! So creative! Coffee is one of my favorite smells, good thinking girl!

    xoxo,
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Jen! I'm glad you and Amanda welcomed your readers to your outing - it was a lot of fun to meet you both and I have since been to a thrift store twice more...I hope it's a good addiction :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great find!

    ~Mrs. Delightful
    ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love the look of it in general, but I'm so happy I chose it for the bathroom!

      Delete
  6. Love!! I need to try something like this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andrea! It's so nice to have that sitting out and not be an eye sore.

      Delete