Tuesday, December 20, 2011

My Dream Home

Jamie over at Delightfully Coconuts has been posting about her dream home while she's over in Germany where her husband is stationed {I have so much respect for military families!}. I love seeing Jamie's ideas and thought, "Why the heck not?"...a common theme this week! I have been pinning ideas for my future home non-stop so many ideas have been swarming through my head. 

**Disclaimer: this Dream Home of mine is contingent upon winning the lottery.**

Here's a sketch of the outside of my Dream Home:


I wish I could find a model picture of the house, but this lets my imagination wander a bit. I see cream, gray, brown, and red. A lush lawn (for the hubster!) and LOTS of windows, which I love!


There are lots of things I love about the main floor!
  • I adore the covered porch - it is darling! Gives some space to wind down on a cool summer night {ahh, summer...}.
  • The study is right up at the front of the house instead of being tucked back away from the family, which ideally I would love for my craft space! 
  • With the "formal dining room" having easy access to the kitchen, we're more likely to use it. Otherwise, I find those spaces annoying.
  • The Great Room has built-ins, a fireplace, and is open to the rest of the house. A must with my family.
  • I love the kitchen island and the corner walk-in pantry.
  • Off the 3-car garage {a must}, there's a spacious mudroom with plenty of hanging space, a bathroom {I like that it's not smack in the middle of the house so people have some privacy}, and a desk. Ideally, the desk space would be for the business since it's near the garage, but that's just in my head and I'm being a little biased wanting the study for myself!
  • Lots of windows!
Dislikes:
  • There's no closet near the foyer. Shoes and coats would pile up when we had people over, unless we hauled them across the house or through the garage.
  • I would like the garage to be bigger so my hubby could have a big enough space for a workshop.
  • There's no deck. We need one.


The upper floor...how do I love thee? Let me count the ways:
  • All four bedrooms are on one floor; that means easy access to the kids no matter what age they are. Yep, even when they're teens and want to hide away from Mom & Dad. Not a chance.
  • It's a must for me to have the laundry room on the same level as the bedroom, and with easy access. This setup is perfect because not only is it located in a great spot, but it connects directly to the Master Suite Walk-In Closet!
  • The Master Suite is vaulted, a good size, and has a beautiful attached bathroom with His/Her sinks, a linen closet, a jacuzzi, shower, and direct access to the closet.
  • Bedroom #2 {B's room, in my dreams} has its own bathroom and a decent sized walk-in closet. Perfect for a girl, right?
  • Bedroom #3 {E's room} and Bedroom #4 {my "someday baby's" room} have a Jack/Jill bathroom which is awesome; their own sinks separated from the tub and toilet. I'm also grateful there's a planned space for a linen closet in there!
  • The desk space in the hall: I'd debate on this. If it remained there, it would be a good location to have the family computer and keep an eye on what the kids are surfing on the internet as they get older. Also a good place to incorporate a "go-to" homework station. However, it might be an eye sore right there in the middle of the hallway. I'm leaning towards liking it there though.
Dislikes:
  • E and "someday baby's" rooms don't have walk-in closets. Are they a necessity? No. But they're nice to have.
  • I would like more than one window on the corner bedrooms {Master, 2, and 4}. I love windows.
  • The bedrooms aren't very large, but they aren't too small either. However, with having a closet and access to the bathroom, it would be nice to have a little more space in the bedroom itself.


The basement is a little hard to read. There's a space for a future bedroom - maybe an office or my craft room, or a workout space {bahaha who am I kidding?}! A good sized storage area, room for a bathroom, and a big rec room for my imaginary home theatre. My imagination is huge.

Just for fun, what do you like or dislike?

1 comment:

  1. It’s always fun to dream of an ideal home. It lets your mind paint a picture of what you want in your house. Anyway, I also like the accessibility of the whole area. It makes the home very functional and efficient. All the best!

    Lois Becker @ Finlay Brewer

    ReplyDelete