Monday, March 19, 2012

Here it is.... THE BIG NEWS!

OK I really didn't want to wait this long to post this, but with how busy this weekend was and the lack of Internet {I'll get to that in a minute...} I couldn't get to my blog.

WE ARE HOMEOWNERS!

That's right! Us! We bought a house! And it's beautiful! And we LOVE IT!

No more condo...
renting...
moving...
No more busy street...
honking horns...
drunk people leaving the bar and yelling...
traffic...
parking lots...
elevators...

We have a garage...
a yard...
a driveway {B and E played with chalk yesterday for the first time in the driveway...I nearly cried watching them lay down and trace each other}
neighbors with kids...
multi-levels...
a deck...

We can paint...
decorate...
hang home accents {hubby hates when I say "home decor"}...
change the lighting fixtures...
update appliances...
landscape...

And, for my hubby...he has a yard to MOW!

It was such a whirlwind weekend. Closing on the house was Thursday. That night, we ran to good ol' Menards to pick up lighting and door handles. Friday we tried to pack some more {I spend the last two weeks packing what I could, but it's a lot when you work all day, come home and have to make dinner, keep an eye on the kids and spend time with them, take B to gymnastics, get her ready for bed, put her to bed and have time to shower...oofta} and get things ready.

Saturday we were up before the sun came up. J's parents and older sister came out to help move, along with two of his friends {we are SO grateful to everyone who helped this weekend, we couldn't have done it without you!}. After not-as-many-trips-as-I-thought and eight hours later, everything was moved! It's funny how you don't realize how much stuff {ahem, CRAP} you own until you have to pack it up and move it. I have bruises everywhere but they are all worth it {funny how some bruises can be "worth it"...like when I played volleyball and dove into a row of folding chairs to make a play, which I did and we got the point and I felt like a rockstar. So worth the humongous bruise on my side. Others, like flying over my bike handles after running into a branch trying to sneak off to the corner store and be back before my parents came home, just as an example, are not so much}. I will flaunt them...THIS IS FROM MY HOUSE AND I LOVE IT! Bruise me up, buttercup.

The kitchen is unpacked. I had more help from my older sister and aunt to set up the beds so we had a place to lay our tired, sleepy heads. The playroom started to come together. It wasn't too late before it was time for the girls to sleep since they didn't get a nap...and boy did B fall asleep quickly. I was tired too, so when E started fussing it was the perfect opportunity {sounds much less lazy than "excuse} to lay down with her and drift into dreamland.

Sunday we were up early and at it again. J had some work to attend to, so I kept moving on vacuuming and rearranging, dusting and cleaning, unpacking and organizing. Boxes were piling up in the garage ready to be broken down and recycled. My younger sister, mom, and youngest sister came to help clean and organize the garage. My BFF and her daughter came over to check things out and finish putting the playroom together. Eventually, it looked pretty decent. After everyone left, I cleared out the master and J and I arranged the living room, then sat down and decided on paint colors. It hasn't quite sunk in, but having a movie running on the TV {cable and Internet will be hooked up on the 28th, so that's our entertainment for now} and being able to rest our busy butts on the couch made that little voice in my head a little louder when it screamed, "THIS IS HOME!"

Our appliances are being delivered tomorrow. The plan is to paint this weekend with some help from some AMAZING people {once again, can't believe I am so blessed to have these people in my life!}, then we can add blinds and curtains and hang our home accents. We need to add closet shelving too, at least to the master and girls' room. From there, maintenance and updates can be done slowly, but B's birthday party is in a few weeks so painting needs to get done ASAP so we can put the house together for guests without scrambling.

Since I don't have any of my own pictures, there won't be any right now of the house. I know, shame on me, But I also need to make sure that I'm keeping some privacy with my family, so showing the world the link to the property listing wouldn't be very subtle.

This was a bank-owned home, so the previous owners removed things like interior doors, light fixtures, trim, parts of retaining walls, railings, and bathroom mirrors, but that just leaves more options to make it our own. It's strange, but can't change it so that just leaves us with more options to make it our own! Lighting is up already {funny how you don't notice chandeliers and what you like or dislike until you have to buy your own}, paint colors are picked out, and the door situation is workable for now. They are all projects on our to-do list and I am super excited to get going on it. You will probably find me spackling the walls tonight!

Of course this is going to be the basis for future posts: our home projects. Painting, installing, updating, decorating...it's Christmas in March for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment